Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Guess who decided to stop by?

Aside from the pesky ants, guess who dropped by the garden?

A bayawak! Woohoo!!! (For my readers abroad, that's a kind of endangered monitor lizard) I'm really excited about this development because I'm assuming that the lizard finds the garden a great place to hang out in. I feel even more convinced that composting the slow way (direct soil incorporation) is the way to go. I had the opportunity a few weeks ago to do something to speed up the fertilization process, but I opted to go slow and natural. I love that our endangered friends are appreciating it!


By the way, I'm a little scared to come up close to the bayawak. This gal even had her picture taken by one. Sorry, but not for me, thank you. Maybe I'll be able to take a picture of it one day. 


I was a little concerned that Mr. Lonely (the free-range rooster) was going to have a hard time dealing with the lizard, but he's a bit of a bully and will probably make his presence felt. I am glad we don't have any chicks because bayawak like to prey on the hapless little things.

Trivia: When I did my immersion in Pampanga for college, my host family (the dad was Aeta/"kulot", the mom was from the lowlands/"unat") wanted to feed me bayawak. I'm super glad they weren't able to catch any. I didn't realize they were endangered until now. :(  Click here  for an article on the bayawak recently appearing on the endangered species list.

An epiphany: I don't want to get rid of the ants anymore. I just want to keep them away from the vegetables.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...