Thursday, March 1, 2012

Stuff Raw Foodists Like #13 : Pasalubong :)

Pasalubong – n. gifts usually in the form of, but not limited to food, coming from someone’s travels, intended to celebrate someone’s homecoming/ thanksgiving for a safe journey. the root word salubong means to meet. 
J came back from her babymoon from the States and her pasalubong for everyone was chocolate, which immediately took its spot in our special nook in the office, right on top of our filing cabinets, where pasalubong snacks are available to anyone who feels like partaking.



But mine was extra special because these were just for me.
Look at these beauties! Handcrafted, raw, gluten free, vegan chocolate. Yum. Mee. :)



I felt special because I usually don’t get pasalubong when people travel. And I don’t expect people to bring me back pasalubong. I know it is a hassle for them to go out of their way to get something just for me ---raw/organic/sugar-free treats are often pricier than their cooked counterparts, and fruits that have not been processed are usually subject to so many duties. But I super appreciate it when someone makes the effort to get me a raw treat from abroad when they come back :)

I was going to save one bar for today, then another for tomorrow, but I just couldn’t help myself. (Marshmallow test fail!) They were sooo yummy, J! And the side effects say it all!


The treats couldn’t have come at a better time too --- I've been feeling pretty discouraged lately, and they were a really nice pick-me-up! Thanks J! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Welcome back :) !

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Do you have a pasalubong culture in your country? What kind of pasalubong is your favorite?


I know my aunts in California really like Ding Dong and butong pakwan (salted watermelon seeds) and my landlady in Federal Way really likes Yes! Magazine. I also used to bring her Chicken Joy too, back when Jollibee in Southcenter hadn’t opened yet. I tried bringing back macaroons from Bizu to my cousin in Phoenix but those don’t really travel well.

(Can you say smash to smithereens seven times?)




Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...